Doug Ford re-affirmed that only a re-elected PC government will build a new hospital for the people of Windsor-Essex, including an investment of nearly $10 million to plan for a state-of-the-art facility with more beds for the community.
“For years, the Del Duca-Wynne Liberals stalled and delayed a new hospital in Windsor-Essex as they made cuts to Ontario’s health care system,” said Doug Ford. “Even now, the Ontario Liberals and NDP voted against funding for a new hospital for this growing community. They’ll criticize and oppose anything rather than take real action to help families.”
Once complete, the new Windsor-Essex hospital will consolidate Windsor Regional Hospital’s two separate acute care campuses to expand services, add more beds and replace outdated infrastructure with high-tech facilities to provide better care for patients and families in the region. Future planning stages for the new hospital will determine other design details such as the total number of beds and construction start date.
The new hospital will provide services such as cancer care, complex trauma, obstetrics, neurology and cardiology. There will also be more single-patient rooms to increase patient privacy and prevent the spread of infection. To preserve access for patients and their families in downtown Windsor, urgent care and outpatient services will remain at Windsor Regional Hospital’s Ouellette site.
Families in Windsor-Essex will also have access to a new Centre of Excellence in Mental Health and Addictions for the region. Plans for the new hospital include the transfer of 68 acute mental health beds to Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare, making it easier for patients to receive mental health and addiction services in one location.
“Building new hospitals and adding more beds is a key part of our plan to keep our province and economy open,” added Ford. “Only the Ontario PCs will build a new hospital for Windsor-Essex and get it done.”
Doug Ford is the only leader with a real plan:
● Rebuilding Ontario’s economy with good manufacturing jobs, more support for small business and a mining plan that will finally open up the Ring of Fire.
● Working for workers by encouraging apprenticeships and opening up jobs in the skilled trades, allowing colleges to grant three-year degrees and increasing the minimum wage.
● Building highways and infrastructure, including Highway 413, the Bradford Bypass while investing in the 401 East.
● Keeping costs down by lowering gas taxes, getting rid of license plate stickers and removing unfair tolls on Highways 412 and 418.
● Plan to stay open by hiring more nurses, doctors and personal support workers, allowing more seniors to stay in their own homes and producing more vaccines and critical supplies like PPE right here in Ontario.
Only Doug Ford will Get it Done.
"Doug Ford has made more progress on the new Windsor-Essex hospital in the last 18 months than the previous eight years. Doug Ford made a promise to get the funding to complete the planning for the new hospital. He delivered. He then promised to set a construction start date. Once again, he delivered with construction starting in Spring 2027. Darn tootin', we're going to be building a hospital."
- David Musyj
President and Chief Executive Officer, Windsor Regional Hospital